Bracken Cave is the summer home of more than 20 million Mexican free-tailed bats (Tadarida brasiliensis), making it the world’s largest bat colony and one of the largest concentration of mammals on earth. The emergence of these millions of bats, as they spiral out of the cave at dusk for their nightly insect hunt, is an unforgettable sight.
The 2021 Bat Flight season at Bracken Cave Preserve runs from June through September.
The 2021 season includes both virtual and in-person opportunities to experience the wonder of bats at Bracken Cave Preserve.
2021 MEMBER-ONLY OPPORTUNITIES
- A registration access code will be emailed to members the week of April 12, or included in the membership confirmation email for those joining or renewing after that time. You will need this code to register for any of the member-only events (virtual or in-person).
- Members supporting BCI with a $45 annual membership and those who have added an annual membership to an adopt-a-bat may bring up to 3 guests. Members supporting BCI monthly or with a $60 or more annual membership may bring up to 5 guests. Members may attend one Member Bat Flight at Bracken each season (1 Membership = 1 Member Bat Flight per year).
- If you are NOT already a member, join here. Unsure about your membership status? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please take note of when registration opens each month. Your access code will show as invalid if attempting to reserve tickets before registration opens.
In-Person Member Bat Flights
(registration opens Jul 1 noon CT)
(registration opens Aug 1 noon CT)
|Fri Jun 11 SOLD OUT||Thu Jul 8 SOLD OUT||Thu Aug 5||Sat Sep 4|
|Sat Jun 12 SOLD OUT||Fri Jul 9 SOLD OUT||Sat Aug 7||Fri Sep 10|
|Wed Jun 16 SOLD OUT||Sat Jul 17 (adult only, $10/pp) SOLD OUT||Fri Aug 13||Sat Sep 11|
|Fri Jun 18 (adult only) SOLD OUT||Fri Jul 23 SOLD OUT||Sat Aug 14||Thu Sep 16|
|Thu Jun 24 SOLD OUT||Thu Jul 29 SOLD OUT||Fri Aug 20||Fri Sep 17 (adult only, $10/pp)|
|Sat Jun 26 SOLD OUT||Sat Jul 31 SOLD OUT||Sat Aug 21||Sat Sep 25|
|Fri Aug 27 (adult only, $10/pp)|
Member-Only Virtual Bat Flights – Join us for member-only virtual Bracken Bat Flights via Zoom April 16 (“Opening Night”), April 22 (Earth Day), and select Thursday nights from May through September. Use the access code provided by email (the same code used to schedule an in-person bat flight-see above) to register. Registration is open.
Other Member-Only Virtual Experiences – Join us to experience the world of bats, virtually. We’ll explore Bracken Cave Preserve and bats around the world through a number of member-only online experiences including Bracken Briefs and Bat Briefs (mini sessions with specific bat-related themes) and events meant to bring you inside the world of bats. Registration is open. See our Event Calendar for details.
2021 Public Opportunities
- A limited number of public opportunities to attend a bat flight in person and virtually have been added this year.
In-Person Bat Flights
|June ||July ||August |
(registration opens noon CT July 1)
(registration opens noon CT August 1)
|Thu June 17 SOLD OUT||Thu Jul 15 SOLD OUT||Fri Aug 6||Fri Sep 3|
|Fri Jun 25 SOLD OUT||Fri Jul 30 SOLD OUT||Thu Aug 12||Thu Sep 9|
|Wed June 30 SOLD OUT||Sat Aug 28|
Virtual Bat Flights – Experience the thrill of 20 million bats emerging from their summer home at Bracken Cave Preserve – virtually. No registration needed, just join in at 7:30pm Central Time at https://www.facebook.com/BatCon on the first Friday of the months of May, June, August, and September, plus April 17 (International Bat Appreciation Day), May 9 (Mother’s Day), June 20 (Father’s Day), August 29 (International Bat Night), and September 12 (Grandparent’s Day). (start time subject to change)
Other Virtual Experiences – Additional opportunities to experience the world of bats virtually have been added to our Event Calendar. Registration is open.
If you are trying to book a group visit for your club, troop, class or other organization, email email@example.com.
For other commonly asked questions about visiting Bracken Cave Preserve, check out our Visitation FAQS.