Finance and Accounting Manager
Bat Conservation International (BCI) seeks an experienced Finance and Accounting Manager who has the background and training to manage the finances of a growing international nonprofit. BCI has a current budget of $4.5M, approximately 9000 members internationally and 35 full time staff that grows to 50 or more based on projects underway. The Finance and Accounting Manager will supervise one staff and have the part time assistance of another. This position reports to the Director of Operations and is based in Austin, Texas.
The ideal candidate will have personally performed and managed all financial functions. They will be hands-on, have a high level of attention to detail, demonstrate good critical thinking skills, be inquisitive, and value being part of a team effort.
- Manage the organization’s accounting and bookkeeping functions including accounts payable and receivable; monitor and enforce policies, procedures and internal controls; identify and implement systems and process improvements to increase accuracy or efficiency.
- Lead and manage the budget process and forecasts.
- Collect, interpret and report on financial information to assist management in decision making and understanding the organization’s financial condition; produce monthly, quarterly, annual and ad hoc financial reports.
- Ensure compliance with GAAP and government accounting related to grants and contracts; develop and maintain BCI’s indirect cost rate.
- Work with program staff to fully cost proposals and to ensure proper grant and contract management and close out.
- Oversee banking and treasury functions; manage cash flow; identify trends and risks and bring them to the attention of management.
- Arrange for and coordinate audits; responsible for all IRS and other financial filings.
- Work effectively with HR in the management and interfaces related to timekeeping, payroll and the management of the fringe benefits budget.
- A BS/BA in accounting and 5 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in a nonprofit setting and a CMA or CPA preferred.
- A strong understanding of GAAP and FASB, a working knowledge of nonprofit rules and regulations and the management of government grants and contracts a plus.
- Experience and facility with financial management software and an excellent command of Excel including creating pivot tables, linking formulas/worksheets essential.
- Proficient in the use of other Microsoft and office application software.
- Experience with Abila MIP preferred. Ability to create reports and knowledge of related systems such as payroll and time recording and their interface with the financial system.
- Experience producing financial reports to assist management in decision making and meeting their fiduciary responsibilities.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of management and colleagues, including Board members and to keep departments informed of relevant financial matters.
- Strong skills in communication, writing and organization with an ability to communicate key financial concepts in ways that program and administrative staff can understand.
- Must be a team player and work effectively with others to achieve outcomes and solve problems
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to work with limited supervision and high motivation.
- Must be reliable, trustworthy and demonstrate good reasoning abilities and sound judgment.
- Analytical abilities, accuracy, good planning & organizational skills required. Detail-oriented, and able to balance efficiency with accuracy in a high volume department.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- A strategic and critical thinker and a hands on implementer.
- Supervisory experience and ability to both meet deadlines and set clear timelines.
- Interest in and willingness to commit to the mission of Bat Conservation International essential.
To apply, please send your Resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Bat Conservation International is an Equal Opportunity Employer.